Devotional Art ~ In the Palm of His Hands

Thank you for coming along on my journey of daily prayer ponderings through this series of Devotional Art. In the writing, art, sketches and doodles, I hope that you will be inspired to connect to the heart of God in creative ways. As I share my personal journey, I pray that yours will be inspired and strengthened as well. Blessings - Pattie Ann Hale



In the Palm of His Hands

See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands...”


Father, you say that you hold me in your hands... even in Your Word, you say, “See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands...” (Isaiah 49:16) How can it be that You God, in your great vastness.... see me... that you hold me in your hands. Though I cannot totally comprehend it, I listen and hear you speak it to my heart.... a weary heart that has been rushing along trying to keep up with all I feel need to accomplish. Give me grace to rest in all that you have unfolded for me... your Grace truly is sufficient.


Yesterday, I walked on the nature trail at our local park, and as I walked around the lake, taking in all the beauty... it was such a Place of Worship. At one point, I placed my phone in the shoulder of my blouse and turned my worship music on so it would play right into my ear... and I walked on. Though I was totally engaged with the world around me... seeing all the activity around, hearing all the natural sounds and playful sounds of a world enjoying a weekend, and having good conversation with my husband as we walked... for a brief moment... I was captured away with my Papa. I looked up into the trees above, the sun coming through and for a moment, I heard His heart for me, “I love to capture you away with me.” For that brief moment, I heard in a way that was different than the natural sounds around me... it was His Breath and it was the most precious moment of the day. It was mere seconds... just gazing at the branches, natural wind on my face, ears attuned to His Wind. Oh what manner of love is this that He would capture me away from His everywhere beauty and take me into His Deep Beauty? To grasp that... every day.... my prayer. I think of that old hymn. “I need you every hour...”


So in that moment, I felt the Lord hold me in the palms of His hands. It was a beautiful day. I didn’t need a rescue... but yet He captured me anyway... in an already beautiful moment. How awesome is a God like that? His heart is the most beautiful place.


The scripture from Isaiah, See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands...” was a reassurance to Israel of the Lord’s commitment to them... that He had not forgotten them. The word engraved literally means “to cut.” Oh how Jesus loves us that He literally, on the cross, had us cut into His innocent hands. I’ve experienced those hands holding me when I felt forgotten. I’ve felt them wrap me when I could not go on. I’ve felt those hands on my shoulders encouraging me to keep moving... and like in the moment yesterday, I’ve experienced Him holding me there in His hands... captured away with Him... just because He loves to bring me close to His heart. He wants the same for us all. See?


5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How amazing....I found this on Facebook and I had to go for it. I have no idea how this happened, as I have been feeling sad & overwhelmed, and at times hopeless.
I read this and loved its message, as God has an amazing heart with so much love that He overlooks our imperfections.
I am comforted and encourage to not loose hope because He loves us and never leaves us, even when it is us who do.

Thank you, thank you so much for sharing your amazing experience. I long for God in me and in my heart to the point of overflowing.

I feel honored to have discovered you and so many others with using their art and sharing God's word through it.

Just amazing and taken it all in...

God bless you always...

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Aviles

Pam said...

I too encounter the Lord while walking in the woods near my home. Our God is so very precious.

Will you follow my blog,
http://pamholladay.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Galatians 2:20: “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." (NASB95)

The nails must have been long enough to go through two palms.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments. :)

Elizabeth, may He totally overflow your life with His Love.

Pam... Love your blog. :)

Tony, Yes!!! "...no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me."

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmm. :)